Printing service staff member in House tests positive for coronavirus

Mara Cepeda
(UPDATED) But it is still unclear if the patient is among the 52 confirmed cases already reported by the Department of Health

SESSION IS IN ORDER. The of House of Representatives holds a plenary session on May 30, 2018. File photo by Darren Langit/Rappler

MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – A staff member of the Printing Service office in the House of Representatives tested positive for COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus.

House Secretary-General Luis Montales sent a message to House employees late Thursday night, March 12, saying he “received word that a staff from Printing Service tested positive for COVID-19.” 

The patient has not traveled to any country with COVID-19 cases nor has the patient made contact with a confirmed case.  

The patient had been in and out of the hospital since last year due to various ailments and was recently confined for community-acquired pneumonia. The patient last reported for work in the House on March 3.

It is still unclear, however, if the Printing Service office staff member is already part of the 52 positive cases already confirmed by the Department of Health (DOH) as of Thursday evening. 

All personnel from the Printing Service office, as well as all other employees and House members with whom the patient made contact, will be undergoing quarantine.  

At least 3 lawmakers and one House official confirmed to Rappler on Friday, March 13, that Montales had sent the message, where the House Secretary-General said it is the “DOH [that] will make the official announcement. “ 

Rappler already sought Montales for comment, but he has yet to reply as of posting time. The office of Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano also said to wait for the DOH’s announcement. 

The Senate is currently under “restricted access” after a resource person in a March 5 hearing tested positive for COVID-19. This prompted several senators, House members, and Cabinet officials to undergo self-quarantine.

President Rodrigo Duterte already declared a state of public health emergency and raised the Code Red Sublevel 2 in the country due to the COVID-19 outbreak, which has killed 5 so far in the Philippines.

Metro Manila will be put on a month-long lockdown starting March 15, while classes and government offices will also be suspended. – Rappler.com

Add a comment

Sort by

There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.

author

Mara Cepeda

Mara Cepeda specializes in stories about politics and local governance. She covers the Office of the Vice President, the Senate, and the Philippine opposition. She is a 2021 fellow of the Asia Journalism Fellowship and the Reham al-Farra Memorial Journalism Fellowship of the UN. Got tips? Email her at mara.cepeda@rappler.com or tweet @maracepeda.