CEBU CITY, Philippines – A 27-year-old from Tabogon, Cebu, who was under investigation for COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, died on Sunday, March 15, before her test results were out.
City health director Dr Daisy Villa confirmed this to reporters during a press conference on Sunday evening, where Mayor Edgar Labella announced placing Cebu City under community quarantine. (READ: Cebu City placed under community quarantine)
The patient died of complications due to pneumonia.
Labella, however, said the death of the person under investigation was not the reason for the lockdown, as it was not yet confirmed if she was positive for the coronavirus.
“She was admitted for meningitis previously in February,” Villa said. “She was readmitted on March 10, where she was tested, and until now the results have yet to come back.”
The patient had no history of travel abroad, but may have come in contact with others who had the virus.
Under community quarantine, travel is restricted to and from Cebu City by sea.
Those who have come from other cities where coronavirus is present are also required to go under home quarantine. Residents of Cebu CIty are also advised to avoid unnecessary outdoor activity, mass gathering, and are asked to maintain a social distance of one meter in public.
So far, there are a total of 183 persons under investigation and 2,215 patients under monitoring across the Philippines.
The health department has confirmed 140 cases. At least 122 are currently admitted to hospitals, while 5 are under home quarantine, 2 have recovered, and 11 have died
While there are two persons under investigation and several others under monitoring in Cebu, none have tested positive yet for the virus. – Rappler.com