Zamboanga del Norte records 1st coronavirus case

Gualberto Laput
Zamboanga del Norte records 1st coronavirus case
(UPDATED) The province's first COVID-19 case is a 63-year-old Norwegian who arrived in Dipolog City on March 2, says Zamboanga del Norte's Task Force COVID-19

ZAMBOANGA DEL NORTE, Philippines (UPDATED) – Zamboanga del Norte recorded its first coronavirus case on Monday, May 4.

Zamboanga del Norte’s Task Force COVID-19 announced this in its official Facebook page on Monday. 

“1st positive COVID 19 case recorded in Zamboanga del Norte,” the task force said in the Facebook post as it urged residents to stay at home.

In a press conference on early Monday night, the task force described the first coronavirus case as a 63-year-old Norwegian male.

The task force said the foreigner arrived in Dipolog City on March 2, and stayed in Barangay Sicayab while the foreigner’s partner stayed in Barangay Minaog, also in the city.

The task force said the foreigner was admitted to a private hospital in the city because of chest pains on April 26, and was airlifted to Manila on the morning of May 2. 

Dr Joshua Brillantes, DOH-9 assistant regional director, said in a virtual briefing livestreamed on Facebook on Tuesday, May 5, that the patient was supposed to undergo an angiogram at the Metro Manila hospital where had had been brought to, and was subjected to coronavirus testing as part of the protocol for medical procedures.

The results returned positive a day later, on May 4. 

The provincial coronavirus task force said it had identified and isolated the persons that the COVID-19 patient had “sustained contact” with, and that they would all be tested.

It added that the private hospital where the patient was admitted had been disinfected while health workers there would go on 14-day quarantine and would also be tested. 

Zamboanga del Norte was placed under general community quarantine from March 17 to April 14

Zamboanga del Norte has a population of over 1 million, based on the 2015 census. – Rappler.com