5.9-magnitude quake off Surigao
MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) - A magnitude 5.9 earthquake has struck off the coast of Surigao del Norte on Friday, March 16.
The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) earlier pegged the quake at magnitude 5.7, but upgraded it at 4:35 pm.
The agency said the epicenter of the quake was centered south of Dinagat Island, at around 3:58 pm local time.
The US Geological Survey (USGS) recorded the focus of the quake at a depth of 44.3 km from the surface.
Intensity V was felt at General Luna, Surigao del Norte; and Intensity IV at Carrascal, Surigao del Sur.
Here are the other ares that felt the earthquake, as per Phivolcs:
- Intensity V - Basilisa, Dinagat; San Ricardo, Southern Leyte
- Intensity IV - Carrascal, Surigao del Sur
- Intensity III - Tolosa and Tacloban Leyte; Davao City; Bislig City; Borongan, Oras, Dolores, Eastern Samar
- Intensity II - Cebu City; Sulat, Eastern Samar
- Intensity I - Hibok-Hibok, Camiguin
Phivolcs said they are expecting aftershocks and damages from the quake. - Rappler.com