MANILA, Philippines – The government will not declare a ceasefire with communist rebels this Holy Week, Palace officials said on Monday, March 26.
“There is nothing in the horizon,” Presidential Spokesman Edwin Lacierda said in a news briefing, when asked whether President Aquino will order a suspension of offensive military operations (Somo) during Holy Week.
The Aquino administration did not declare a Holy Week ceasefire last year, as well.
“[There will be] no Holy Week ceasefire declaration. It has not been the practice, but certainly we hope that the days will be kept holy,” Chief Peace Adviser Teresita Deles said in a text message to reporters, responding to the same question.
Previous administrations, beginning with the late President Corazon C. Aquino, had declared a unilateral Holy Week Somo with rebel groups. – Rappler.com