MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) - Fugitive Janet Lim-Napoles, the alleged brain behind the multi-billion pork barrel scam, is in government custody.
The government's Official Gazette said Napoles surrendered to President Benigno Aquino III at 9:37 pm.
Napoles is wanted on charges of serious illegal detention arising from the alleged kidnapping of Benhur Luy, her personal assistant who has turned whistleblower.
The President turned her over to the custody of Interior and Local Government Secretary Mar Roxas and Philippine National Police Director-General Alan Purisima for processing and booking, Malacañang said. Serious illegal detention is not a bailable offense.
Earlier on Wednesday, President Aquino offered a P10-M reward for her arrest.
Napoles' surrender was confirmed by her lawyer Lorna Kapunan, reports said.
Her brother Reynald Lim — according to Kapunan, who was interviewed on radio station dzMM — is also set to voluntarily surrender.
Details of the surrender have yet to be disclosed, although Napoles is said to be held at Camp Crame in Quezon City.
Napoles was ordered arrested by a Makati court on August 14, for the serious illegal detention of Luy, her cousin and assistant.
Probers investigated accusations by Benhur's parents (Arturo and Gertrudes Luy) and siblings (Arthur and Annabelle) that Benhur was detained by Napoles from December 2012 up to March 22, 2013, when he was rescued by NBI agents.
He was later rescued at the condominium unit of Napoles at the posh Pacific Plaza in Taguig.
Charges have yet to be filed against Napoles and Lim in connection with the pork barrel scam. - Rappler.com