Napoles asks court to stop transfer to Makati jail

Michael Bueza
'We're hoping that the court would consider this motion for security reasons,' reads the motion of the lawyers of Janet Lim Napoles

MUGSHOTS: Police officers show the mugshots of Janet Lim Napoles. Photo by Paterno Esmaquel/Rappler

MANILA, Philippines — A lawyer of Janet Lim Napoles asked a Makati court on Thursday, August 29, to stop her transfer from the Philippine National Police headquarters in Camp Crame, Quezon City to the Makati City jail.

The motion was filed past court hours, but the court accommodated it due to a prior call from the Napoles camp.

Hours earlier, the regional trial court branch 150 of Makati issued a commitment order to Napoles, which was delivered to her in Camp Crame. The order paves the way for her transfer to the Makati City jail.

READ: Court orders Napoles jailed in Makati

But her lawyer, Ina Zamora, filed a 7-page motion asking the court to reconsider its decision. Zamora told reporters they want to first guarantee the safety of their client before she is transfered to Makati. The motion listed Camp Bagong Diwa in Taguig City, which is near Makati, as an alternative to Camp Crame.

“We’re hoping that the court would consider this motion for security reasons,” the motion said.

Napoles’ lawyers asked that the motion be heard on Friday, August 30.

The court also scheduled for Friday a hearing on a separate motion filed by the Napoles camp which asked Branch 150 Judge Elmo Alameda to inhibit herself from the case.

Napoles is the alleged mastermind of a multi-billion pork barrel scam that involves high profile lawmakers. But the arrest warrant against her was issued over charges she illegally detained her cousin-turned-whistleblower Benhur Luy, who exposed her alleged scheme.

The government is still preparing the case on the pork barrel misuse.

Napoles surrendered to President Benigno Aquino III in Malacañang Wednesday night hours after a P10-million bounty was announced for her arrest.

READ: How Napoles ended up in Malacañang

Napoles told the President that her life is in danger. The President himself arranged for her security and joined the convoy that brought Napoles to from Malacañang to Camp Crame late Wednesday night. He left only after he was able to check where she was going to be detained. —

Add a comment

Sort by

There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.

Michael Bueza

Michael is a data curator under Rappler's Tech Team. He works on data about elections, governance, and the budget. He also follows the Philippine pro wrestling scene and the WWE. Michael is also part of the Laffler Talk podcast trio.