MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – In an unprecedented move, no less than the chief of the Philippine National Police (PNP) and at least 3 Cabinet Secretaries visited the Makati City jail on Thursday night, August 29, to ensure that it is secure for Janet Lim Napoles.
PNP Director General Alan Purisima arrived at the city jail at 6 pm Thursday, telling reporters he wanted to make sure that the area is safe for Napoles. Napoles, the alleged mastermind of a multi-billion pork barrel scam, surrendered to President Benigno Aquino III on Wednesday, August 28, saying she feared for her life.
An hour later, Interior and Local Government Secretary Roxas arrived along with Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda and Communications Secretary Ricky Carandang.
Roxas told reporters Napoles “will be jailed here.” They just need to make sure that the jail has enough security measures in place before she is brought to the area.
Roxas said the jail has 103 inmates in two big cells. Thus authorities are looking at two “alternative areas” within the jail to detain Napoles.
Earlier in the day, the regional trial court branch 150 of Makati issued a commitment order to Napoles for her transfer from Camp Crame, where she spent Wednesday night, to the Makati jail. The camp is the headquarters of the PNP.
Napoles’ lawyers however asked the court to stop her transfer, saying they preferred another jail — the one in Taguig. – Rappler.com