PH, China make progress in standoff
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippines said Friday, April 13, it had made progress in efforts to end a tense standoff with China in the South China Sea but each side was still refusing to remove its ships from the disputed area.
Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario told reporters the two countries had agreed to maintain the "status quo" and not take any further provocative actions at the tiny islets as they sought to negotiate a resolution.
"We have been able to arrive on some agreements. There are areas where we moved forward and there are areas which still remain a challenge," del Rosario said after meeting with China's ambassador to Manila, Ma Keqing.
"Both sides have agreed not to do anything that would escalate the situation there any further."
Del Rosario expressed hope that further progress would be made in another round of talks on Friday night.
The dispute began on Sunday when Philippine authorities found eight Chinese fishing boats at Scarborough Shoal, (230 kilometers, 140 miles) west of the country's main island of Luzon.
The Philippines accused the fishermen of being there illegally, asserting the area was Philippine territory because it was within the country's 200-nautical-mile exclusive economic zone, as recognised by international law.
However China, insisting that the shoal was Chinese territory, sent three civilian maritime surveillance ships to prevent the Philippine Navy's largest vessel from arresting the Chinese fishermen.
The Philippines withdrew its warship on Thursday, April 12, replacing it with a coast guard search-and-rescue vessel in what was widely seen as an effort to lower tensions by taking away the immediate threat of military force.
Foreign department spokesman Raul Hernandez said Friday the Chinese embassy had informed the Philippines that one of the three Chinese vessels had also been withdrawn.
The Philippine coast guard has dispatched a second vessel to back up the 56-metre-long (184-foot) rescue ship in Scarborough Shoal but it had not reached the site, a coast guard spokesman said.
China claims all of the South China Sea as its own, even waters up to the coasts of other countries.
Aside from the Philippines and China, Taiwan, Vietnam, Malaysia and Brunei also claim all or parts of the waters as their own.
The rival claims have made the sea one of Asia's potential flashpoints for military conflict.
The Philippines and Vietnam complained last year of increasingly aggressive acts by China in staking its claim to the South China Sea.
However this week's standoff is the highest-profile in recent years.
President Benigno Aquino III has pushed for a peaceful solution to the naval standoff.
The impasse began when the Philippine warship BRP Gregorio del Pilar was blocked by a Chinese vessel from arresting Chinese fishermen. The Philippines said the fishermen were engaging in illegal fishing and harvested endangered marine species.
China however has said that the fishermen were doing legitimate fishing activities. The Chinese embassy in Manila said the fishermen were fulfilling their duties of “safeguarding Chinese maritime rights and interests.”
Beijing said the boats took shelter from a storm in the lagoon. China also accused Filipino soldiers of harassing the fishermen. - with reports from Agence France-Presse
In these changing times, courage and clarity become even more important.
Take discussions to the next level with Rappler PLUS — your platform for deeper insights, closer collaboration, and meaningful action.
Sign up today and access exclusive content, events, and workshops curated especially for those who crave clarity and collaboration in an intelligent, action-oriented community.
As an added bonus, we’re also giving a free 1-year Booky Prime membership for the next 200 subscribers.
You can also support Rappler without a PLUS membership. Help us stay free and independent by making a donation: https://www.rappler.com/crowdfunding. Every contribution counts.