Santi death toll now 15; Damage at P3B
MANILA, Philippines – The death toll from typhoon Santi (international codename Nari) has risen to 15, as damage to infrastructure and agriculture breaches the P3 billion mark, the government said Tuesday, October 15.
The toll rose after two previously reported missing individuals have been found dead, the National Disaster Risk Reduction & Management Council (NDRRMC) said in its latest tally.
One missing person from Kabuggao, Apayao was found in the Cagayan River on Monday, October 14, while another missing individual in Oriental Mindoro was found dead Sunday, October 13.
Five people remain missing as of Tuesday: 3 fishermen from Viga, Catanduanes, and 2 other people from Kabuggao, Apayao. Thirty-two people were injured.
A total of 871,601 people have been affected by the typhoon in Regions I, II, III, IV-A, and V, equivalent to 179,899 families.
The number of evacuation centers has gone down to 39, housing a total of 5,704 people (1,275 families). A total of 65,924 people are being served outside evacuation centers, the NDRRMC update said.
Total damage to agriculture and infrastructure has risen to P3,077,197,976.00 with 4 provinces reporting (Pangasinan, Aurora, Nueva Ecija, and Tarlac). Bulk of recorded damage is in agriculture, worth 3.076 billion.
A total of 53,040 homes were damaged in the provinces of Nueva Ecija, Tarlac, Bulacan, Aurora, Pampanga, Pangasinan, Nueva Vizcaya, and Zambales. Out of this number, 10,491 have been totally damaged.
Santi tore through central and northern Luzon early Saturday, October 12, and cut a westward path through the farming region. – Rappler.com