Missing Pinoy oil rig worker found dead
MANILA, Philippines – The Filipino offshore oil rig worker who went missing Sunday, October 27, has been found dead, the Philippine Embassy in Washington said Tuesday, October 29 (Wednesday, October 30 in Manila).
The US Coast Guard recovered the body of Filipino welder Peter Jorge E. Voces, the Embassy said via Twitter. Voces' body was recovered 10:30 am local time Tuesday.
"It is with deep sadness that we learn about the loss of our kababayan," Philippine Ambassador to the US Jose L. Cuisia Jr was quoted as saying by the Embassy Twitter account.
On Sunday, Voces, 38, was working at the oil platform when he accidentally fell into the Gulf of Mexico at around 7:30 pm. He was reportedly knocked off the platform by an empty storage tank.
The accident site was at the Vermillion Block 200, 55 miles south of Freshwater Bayou in Louisiana, the US Embassy said.
Voces was a registered overseas worker hired by Offshore Specialty Fabricators based in Houma, Louisiana.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with his loved ones in the Philippines," Cuisia added.
The search team was headed by the US Coast Guard Sector New Orleans, and it involved at least two cutters, two helicopters, two fixed-wing aircraft and 6 civilian offshore supply vessels, the Embassy said.
The Consulate General in Chicago will facilitate the repatriation of his remains, according to Consul General Leo Herrera-Lim. "We will do everything possible to bring Mr. Voces home at the soonest possible time," Herrera-Lim said.
Voces' death comes nearly a year after 3 Filipino oil rig workers also died, while 3 others were seriously injured, in an offshore oil platform explosion.
Last year's accident occurred just 154 miles away from where the latest accident happened. – Rappler.com