42,703 families affected by Typhoon Vinta – NDRRMC

Rappler.com
Vinta leaves 3 dead and 2 missing

SLIPPERY ROAD. A road in Candon, Ilocos Sur at 8 pm Thursday, October 31. Photo by Faye Sales

MANILA, Philippines – Typhoon Vinta (international codename Krosa) did not inflict any major damage when it hit Northern Luzon 3 days ago, but thousands of families across the area were still affected.

The typhoon had affected a total of 42,703 families or 212,927 individuals in 507 barangays in Ilocos Region, Cagayan Valley the Cordillera Administrative Region, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said in its 6 am report on Sunday, November 3. 

Vinta left 3 dead and 2 missing when it left the Philippines on Friday, November 1. 

The casualties were identified as Lizardo Wilson, 52, of Sta Marcela, Apayao, Jose Manuel, 72, of Lasam, Cagayan, and Manny Balucas, 41, of Lagayan, Abra. They all drowned due to strong water current. 

Those missing were identified as Loridel Baldos, 30, of San Juan, Abra and Jerry Gatan, 25, of Cabagan, Isabela. 

The typhoon had forced 299 families or 1,799 individuals to evacuate, according to NDRRMC. On Friday, November 1, the Department of Social Welfare and Development decided to close evacuation centers in all affected areas as weather conditions improved.  

A total of 26, 361 houses were damaged in Ilocos Norte, Cagayan and Apayao. Of the number 3, 484 were totally damaged while 22, 877 were partially damaged. 

Cagayan and Ilocos Norte recorded losses of P38 million and P29 million, respectively, mostly from damage to palay and corn products.

Power has been restored in most areas affected by the storm. 

As of November 1, 70% of power had been restored in Laoag City, Ilocos Norte while 80% of power had been restored at the Ilocos Norte municipalities of Pasuquin, Burgos, Bangui, Dumalneg, Pagudpud, Adams, Badoc, Nueva Era, Paoay, Currimao, and Vintar.  

In the province of Apayao, power restoration in Calanasa, Flora, Sta Marcela, Luna and Pudtol is still ongoing. 

NDRRC said power is also being restored in the municipalities of Ballesteros, Sta Praxedes, Abulog, Pamplona, Sanchez Mira, Claveria, Aparri, Lasam, Gattaran, Alacapan, Lallo, Camalaniugan, Buguey, Sta Teresita, Sta Ana and Gonzaga in Cagayan Valley as of October 31. 

As of 6am November 3, a total of P1.45 million worth of relief assistance has been provided for affected families in Regions II and CAR. According to NDRRMC, P1.36 million came from the Department of Social Welfare and Development, while P57,600 were provided bylocal government units and P25,000 came from nongovernment units. 

NDDRMC continues to be on red alert status to monitor the situation. – with a report from Angela Casauay/Rappler.com

Add a comment

Sort by

There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.