More than 50,000 evacuated in Negros Occidental

Gilbert Bayoran
Sixteen towns, cities were affected by the super typhoon, with Sagay, Cadiz, Escalante, and Toboso the hardest hit. Bacolod may be declared under state of calamity.
BACOLOD CITY, Philippines  More than 50,000 Negrenses had been displaced by super typhoon Yolanda in Negros Occidental, but no life was lost, local officials said on Friday, November 8.

Provincial social welfare officer Liane Garcia said the super typhoon left 21,753 evacuees in 16 towns and cities as of 3 pm Friday.

In Bacolod City alone, about 31,000 had been evacuated, according to Mayor Monico Puentevella.

Negros Occidental Governor Alfredo Marañon Jr, who went to the northern part of the province early Friday morning to check the extent of damage wrought by Yolanda, the cities of Sagay, Cadiz, Escalante, and Toboso were the hardest hit.

Trees were uprooted by strong winds, blocking major thoroughfares in Sagay and Cadiz cities. Flying roofs threatened those in residential areas.

With Yolanda leaving the country, Marañon said the provincial government’s priority are response, relief and rehabilitation efforts. He ordered the Provincial Disaster Risk and Reduction Management Council and member-agencies to immediately start clearing up roads in northern Negros so as not to hamper the delivery of relief goods and services.

While the extent of damage to properties is still being determined, Marañon said that so far no reports on casualties reached his office. “It’s heart-warming to know that no lives were reported lost; only damage to properties,” he said.

The governor advised residents near bodies of water to stay at the evacuation centers until authorities say it is safe to return to their homes.

The entire province was left with no electricity. Local electric cooperatives have yet to give any assurance when power will be restored.
 
Meanwhile, Puentevella said he has already recommended to the Bacolod City council to place the city under state of calamity. – Rappler.com