Close to 200 hurt due to fireworks
MANILA, Philippines – Injuries due to fireworks continue to rise as New Year's Eve approaches.
The Department of Health on Sunday morning, December 29 recorded 198 cases of firework-related injuries, Assistant Health Secretary Eric Tayag said in his Twitter account. The banned firecracker piccolo is to be blamed for about 62% of the incidents, Tayag said.
The number is higher than the 175 cases recorded in the same period last year.
In 2012 same period Total FW related injuries was 179- FW injuries 175 FW ingestion 1 Stray bullet 3— Doc Eric Tayag (@erictayagSays) December 29, 2013
Malacañang earlier called on the public to heed the warning of the Department of Health (DOH) against using deadly firecrackers.
The DOH launched the Aksyon Paputok Injury Reduction or APIR campaign to discourage Filipinos, especially kids, from using firecrackers, and encourage citizens to organize community fireworks displays instead. – Rappler.com