Aquino welcomes Ruby Tuason's move
MANILA, Philippines - President Benigno Aquino III welcomed the decision of Ruby Tuason to turn state witness, saying he hoped that her affidavit would bolster the government's case against people allegedly involved in the pork barrel scam.
"Malaki yata ang maidadagdag," Aquino told reporters when asked about Tuason's affidavit which she re-affirmed before the Ombudsman on Friday, February 7. "Magdadagdag siya ng detalye para makumpleto ang story." (She will provide a lot of information…she will add details to complete the story.) (READ: Tuason to back pork barrel whistleblowers)
Watch a statement from Aquino below.
The President said the government will exert all efforts to gather evidence that would put a closure to the biggest corruption scandal to hit the country in recent years.
An associate of alleged pork barrel scam queen Janet Lim Napoles and former secretary of ex-President Joseph Estrada, Tuason appeared at the Office of the Ombudsman in Quezon City Friday to re-affirm her sworn statement which she executed in California where stayed after the scandal broke out.
Tuason's 15-page affidavit affirms the evidence of the justice department in the pork barrel scam. (READ: Tuason a provisional state witness)
Tuason's lawyer Dennis Manalo said Tuason will “corroborate” the testimony of pork barrel scam whistleblowers who implicated at least 3 senators and a Senate chief of staff in the controversy.
The justice department has accused at least 38 people of misusing the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) of lawmakers throught the creation of fake non-governmental organizations. At least 3 senators – former Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile and senators Jinggoy Estrada and Bong Revilla – supposedly allowed this diversion in exchange for kickbacks. They face plunder complaints before the Ombudsman.
The scandal last year led to the abolition of PDAF and its declaration as unconstitutional by the Supreme Court. - Rappler.com