Mayor laments bomb threats in Palawan

Rappler.com
Mayor Edward Hagedorn says he received text messages warning him of explosions next week

PUERTO PRINCESA CITY, Palawan – Mayor Edward Hagedorn said Friday, May 11, his office is investigating new threats of bombings here.

Hagedorn told local leaders that he has received text messages warning him of explosions next week. The leaders convened for a peace rally here attended by Moro National Liberation Front Nur Misuari.

Misuari asked his followers to cooperate with authorities.

“We are taking these threats seriously,” Hagedorn said, adding that the police will exert best efforts to avoid a repeat of the explosions that hit the province last month.

An explosion hit the city and El Nido last April 5.

Hagedorn said the City police have stepped up security in public places including areas that are frequented by tourists.

Hagedorn admitted that the bomb explosions last month led them to consider closing some tourism sites.

Puerto Princesa has been experiencing an unprecedented rapid growth in tourism since the declaration in February of the Underground River as one of the world’s 7 new wonders.

Puerto Princesa’s tourism sector hit a record growth of 54% this quarter, according to Hagedorn. – Rappler.com