MRT 3 resumes regular operation after glitch

Bea Cupin

This is AI generated summarization, which may have errors. For context, always refer to the full article.

(UPDATED) Regular MRT operations resumed at 9:20 am.

STRANDED. MRT Line 3 can only ply the North Avenue to Shaw Boulevard stations until further notice. Photo by Leanne Jazul/Rappler

MANILA, Philippines – (UPDATED) The Metro Rail Transit (MRT) Line 3 went on on “provisional operation” Monday morning, March 24, after its communication systems bogged down beyond the Shaw boulevard station.

Regular MRT operations resumed at 9:20 am. 


In an phone interview with Rappler, MRT general manager Al Vitangcol III explained the MRT only ran from the North Avenue station in Quezon City to the Shaw Station in Mandaluyong city during the “provisional operation.”

Vitangcol said that problems with the communication system made it unable to detect the train from the Buendia to the Taft Avenue stations. He explained it was safer to revert to partial operations “for the safety of commuters.”

The MRT encountered the same problem on Saturday, March 22, but was fully operational the following day when parts had been replaced and the communication glitch fixed. Vitangcol said it’s possible that different parts bogged down this time.

The MRT 3 has become a perennial source of aggravation for thousands of commuters who rely on it for cheap and quick transportation to work.

Authorities had earlier extended the operating hours of the train system to cut long queues, but passengers continue to complain about the slow arrival of trains, and sudden glitches. –

Add a comment

Sort by

There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.

Summarize this article with AI

How does this make you feel?

Download the Rappler App!
Avatar photo


Bea Cupin

Bea is a senior multimedia reporter who covers national politics. She's been a journalist since 2011 and has written about Congress, the national police, and the Liberal Party for Rappler.