Binay: File charges vs 'reckless' Skyway motorist
MANILA, Philippines – Vice President Jejomar Binay on Tuesday, April 22, urged authorities to file charges against a motorist who had attempted to breach the presidential convoy last week.
Binay said in a statement that the “reckless actions” of Jeffrey Roxas-Chua had put at risk the safety of President Benigno Aquino III.
“The Vice President feels strongly that Roxas-Chua did not only violate traffic laws. This motorist put at risk the safety and security of the President and the members of his official family. His reckless actions should not be condoned or allowed to go unpunished,” Binay’s spokesman, Joey Salgado, said.
Salgado also reiterated that Binay is not acquainted with Roxas-Chua, and fully supports the Presidential Security Group in apprehending the speeding motorist.
On April 16, a Mitsubishi Evolution bearing Roxas-Chua allegedly cut in Aquino’s convoy along the Skyway. He reportedly ignored police escorts who signaled for him to slow down and sped away at 100-plus kilometers per hour.
Police caught up with him and gave him a ticket for reckless driving. The man reportedly took a video of the arresting policeman and threatened him with relief from office, especially if Binay or Manila Mayor Joseph Estrada become president.
Roxas-Chua had denied the allegation.
Aquino was on his way to the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 3 to begin an inspection of Holy Week security preparations at choice passenger terminals in Metro Manila. – Rappler.com