Pinay ex-nanny sues Sharon Stone for abuse
LOS ANGELES, United States of America (UPDATED) - A Filipina former nanny of Sharon Stone is suing the US film star for wrongful dismissal and harassment, including by allegedly making derogatory remarks about her ethnicity and religion.
But the star's publicist slammed the lawsuit as "absurd," claiming the ex-nanny was simply trying to "cash in" on Stone.
In legal papers filed in Los Angeles on Tuesday, Erlinda Elemen claims the actress equated being Filipino with being stupid, and ordered her not to speak in front of her children so they would not "talk like you."
The "Basic Instinct" star also banned Elemen, who was dismissed last year, from reading the Bible in Stone's home, even though she lived with her to look after the actress's three children, and frequently traveled with them.
From August 2010, Elemen "was repeatedly subjected to repeated derogatory comments and slurs by (Stone) related to her Filipino ethnicity and heritage," said the 17-page lawsuit.
"These statements included ... comments about Plaintiff's Filipino accent (ie Plaintiff was instructed to refrain from speaking to the children because Defendant did not want them to 'talk like you'), comments about Filipino food, and comments which equated being Filipino with being stupid," it added.
In addition, Stone "was repeatedly verbally dismissive of Plaintiff's deeply held religious beliefs, criticized Plaintiff for frequently attending church, and, on one occasion, forbade Plaintiff from reading the Bible..."
Elemen, who was hired in October 2006 and was promoted to head live-in nanny two years later, was dismissed in February 2011, after Stone learned she was paid overtime when traveling with the children and on holiday days.
Stone told her nanny that she had no right to overtime pay, and "accused Plaintiff of 'stealing' from her by taking the ... overtime pay, told Plaintiff that it was 'illegal' .. to have taken the pay, and asked for the money back."
The lawsuit asks for an unspecified amount for unpaid wages, damages and penalties, and is seeking trial by jury.
But a statement released by Stone's publicist dismissed the legal action.
"This is an absurd lawsuit that has been filed by a disgruntled ex-employee who is obviously looking to get money any way she can," it said.
"After she was terminated approximately one and a half years ago, she filed claims for alleged disability and workers compensation. Now, she is obviously looking for another opportunity to cash in.
"This is a frivolous lawsuit for absurd claims that are made up and fabricated. Sharon Stone will be completely vindicated in court."
Last year the actress was ordered to pay $232,000 in compensation to a worker who injured his knee after slipping and falling in her back yard in 2006. - Agence France-Presse
Click on the links below for more on Hollywood stars and their legal troubles.