MANILA, Philippines – The Commission on Elections (Comelec) said Wednesday, June 6, it is not giving up after a Pasay court on granted bail to former Comelec chair Benjamin Abalos, ordering him to post a P2.2-M bond in exchange for his temporary freedom.
Abalos faces another electoral sabotage case for which he is not yet allowed to post bail, Comelec spokesperson James Jimenez noted.
“Hindi pa tapos ang lahat. Bail lang ito at mayroon pa rin tayong kaso against the former chairman,” Jimenez said. (It’s not yet over. This is just bail and we still have a case against the former chairman.)
On Wednesday, Pasay City Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 117 allowed Abalos to post bail in connection to the electoral sabotage case involving Abalos and ex-South Cotabato election supervisor Lilian Suan Radam.
His other electoral sabotage case, however, is pending in Pasay City RTC Branch 112. Presiding judge Jesus Mupas has not allowed him to post bail for this case, which also involves former North Cotabato election supervisor Yogie Martirizar for alleged poll fraud in 2007.
“Right now, we are taking this in stride and we will pursue case more forcibly,” Jimenez said.
The former Comelec boss had been detained at the Southern Police District.
Also facing an electoral sabotage charge, Mrs Arroyo herself is confident that she, too, would be granted bail because a key witness against her had disappeared.
Mupas is scheduled to hear the case on Thursday, June 7. – Rappler.com