5 hurt in Cotabato City bomb blast
MANILA, Philippines – An improvised explosive device (IED) exploded near the Cotabato City plaza at around 8:30 p.m., Tuesday, August 19, wounding at least 5 people including a soldier, authorities said.
According to Cotabato City Police Director Senior Superintendent Rolen Balquin, the bomb exploded as members of the 5th Army Special Forces Battalion were conducting a security patrol.
The wounded victims were identified as Private Dondon Bambao, Baingan Ango, Mambai Datumanong, and Abdulrakman Utto. Another wounded civilan is yet to be identified, authorities said.
The 4 civilians – two women and two men – who were hurt were immediately brought to the Cotabato City Regional and Medical Center Hospital, according to City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (CDRMMC) incident commander Boy Razalan.
The Army explosive ordinance team, police investigators, and Scene of the Crime Operatives (SOCO) are already conducting post-blast investigation. Authorities have yet to identify suspects behind the explosion.
Balquin told media local police authorities received information regarding security threats earlier last week but did not identify who the suspects were. – Rappler.com