Maguindanao flooded again; state of calamity declared
COTABATO CITY, Philippines – As rains brought by low pressure areas continued to pour since last week, 26 towns from Maguindanao province are now submerged in flood waters.
This prompted the provincial council to call a special session in Buluan town on Friday, September 5, to declare the province under a state of calamity.
This is the 3rd time in recent months that the province declared state of calamity due to flooding.
Board Member Bobby Katambak, who presided the session, cited data from the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council that showed more than 180,000 individuals or around 35,000 families are in barangays submerged in water.
"There is an urgent demand to release calamity funds to address the immediate needs of affected Maguindanaons, who in past days have been suffering from this calamity, and given the bad weather condition until this time," Katambak said.
“The calamity declaration will give us authority to release funds to address the immediate needs of our constituents. Life is making harder for many of our farmers and fisher folks in this difficult times," said Maguindanao Governor Esmael Mangudadatu.
The governor said relief distribution is set for Monday, September 8. Repacking of relief goods started Friday.
Mangudadatu will bring the provinces newly acquired mobile water sanitation equipment to affected areas to cleanse water supply coming from deep wells or local pumps.
There are reports from some towns, like Pagalungan and Datu Montawal, that evacuees are suffering from lost bowel movements due to lack of clean water.
Prices of basic consumer goods are frozen for 60 days in areas under a state of calamity. – Rappler.com