31 still missing in Sarangani flash flood

Rappler.com
Thirty-one people are still missing in Sarangani due to the flashflood in the province, brought by continuous rains in the past few days

MANILA, Philippines – Thirty-one people are still missing in Sarangani due to the flashflood in the province, brought by continuous rains in the past few days.

As of Friday noon, June 15, the number of affected families is now at 1,335, translating to 5,837 individuals, from 6 barangays in the town, the 10th Infantry Division of the Philippine Army reported.

The increase was attributed to the recent arrival of families and individuals at evacuation centers, after being trapped in affected areas due to unpassable roads.

A total of 310 people have been rescued from the affected areas, the 10th Infantry Division added.

They also reported damage to 3 school buildings, 37 totally damaged and 84 partially damaged houses, amounting to P1.8 million.

State of calamity

On Thursday, June 14, the capital town Glan was placed under a state of calamity by Mayor James Victor Yap.

Yap said the flood left an estimated P20-million in damages to property in Glan, with at least 30 houses totally destroyed.

Vice President Jejomar Binay had already committed 1,000 packs of relief goods for affected families, the mayor said.

Aside from the provincial government and the neighboring municipalities, Sarangani Province Rep Manny Pacquiao also pledged financial support for the victims and for the search and rescue operations, Yap said.

Convergence and collaboration of rescue and relief operations between the local government, PNP, Philippine Army, Navy, Coast Guard and other disaster relief and rescue units are still being conducted in the affected barangays in the municipalities of Glan and Maasim.

Two persons were previously confirmed dead in the flooding brought by torrential rain. – Rappler.com

Click on the links below for related stories: