MANILA, Philippines – Vice President Jejomar Binay now has one less reason to skip a Senate Blue Ribbon probe that has branched into mutiple allegations of corruption against him and his family.
Senator Teofisto Guingona III, chairman of the Senate Blue Ribbon committee, said on Wednesday, October 22, they would give in to the Binay camp’s request that should the Vice President appear before the Senate, he would only do so before the Senate Blue Ribbon committee and not its subcommittee, which is conducting the probe.
“Tinatanggap ng mother committee ang hamon ng kanyang kampo. Tinitiyak ng mother committee sa Bise Presidente na siya ay bibigyan ng patas na pagtrato, sapat na pagkakataon, at kaukulang respeto. Ang kailangan namin sa kanya ay ang katotohanan at pawang katotohanan lamang. Inaasahan namin na ibibigay niya ito,” Guingona said.
(The mother committee accepts the challenge of his camp. The mother committee assures the Vice President that he will be get fair treatment, enough time, and due respect. What we only need from him is the truth and nothing but the truth. We expect him to provide this.)
Guingona made the announcement at the start of the subcommittee’s probe into an alleged overpriced Makati City building.
Binay has been invited by the subcommittee, chaired by Senator Aquilino Pimentel III, to respond to the allegations against him but the Vice President has so far declined, calling the subcommittee a “kangaroo court.” His son, Makati Mayor Jejomar Erwin Binay Jr, questioned the jurisdiction of the subcommittee but this was denied twice.
Although the primary subject of the Senate probe is the controversial Makati building it has since turned into a venue for Binay’s former allies and foes to accuse Vice President and his family of amassing illegally-obtained wealth while at the helm of the city. – Rappler.com