‘Oplan Stop Nognog 2016 figment of Binay’s imagination’

Bea Cupin
‘Oplan Stop Nognog 2016 figment of Binay’s imagination’
Senator Alan Peter Cayetano quips: ‘Walang gagawa ng oplan na halatang-halata kung sino ang target.’ (No one would make an oplan name that obviously refers to its target.)

MANILA, Philippines – Who would come up with a covert “operation plan” with a name that obviously refers to its target?

Senator Alan Peter Cayetano on Wednesday, October 22, addressed allegations that the exposes, the Senate’s probe, and plunder charges are part of a scheme to discredit Vice President Jejomar Binay in time for the 2016 presidential polls. (PHOTOS: Binay and wife tour guests in ‘Hacienda Binay’)

Cayetano is one of the 3 senators leading the probe into allegations that Binay was corrupt during his time as Makati mayor.

Speaking during the 10th hearing of the Senate Blue Ribbon subcommittee’s probe, Cayetano poked fun at the so-called “Operation Plan Stop Nognog 2016.” (READ: Binay’s challenge to Trillanes: One-on-one debate)

“The last time I heard the word ‘nognog’ was in high school,” said the senator. “Nognog” is a derisive Filipino term for people with dark skin.

It was Binay’s camp that first mentioned the existence of the “oplan.”

Binay’s party mate United Nationalist Alliance (UNA) secretary general JV Bautista told the Senate that members of the ruling Liberal Party (LP) and the senators part of the probe were all behind the “attacks” against the vice president. (READ: Binay slams Aquino allies for demolition job)

It’s an accusation Cayetano flatly denied. Besides, he added: “Walang gagawa ng oplan na halatang-halata kung sino ang target.” (No one would make an oplan name that obviously refers to its target.)

Yung ‘nognog,’ kathang-isip lang yan ng mga taga-Binay,” added Cayetano. (The term ‘nognog’ is a figment of Binay’s imagination.)

Binay is so far the only candidate who has declared his intention to run for president in 2016. In an ANC interview Tuesday evening, Binay said Interior Secretary Manuel Roxas II, the presumptive presidential candidate of the LP was behind the attacks.

In a chance interview with reporters on Wednesday, Roxas dismissed Binay’s allegations as “stale.” Roxas said “common sense” alone points to his non-involvement.  

Ang mga senador ba, madidiktahan kung anong gagawin nila? May kanya-kanyang paninidgan yan. May sari-sariling track record yan. May kredibilidad ang bawat senador na yan,” said Roxas, a former senator himself. 

(Can you tell a senator what to do? Each has his or her own stand. They have their own track records. They have their credibility to protect.)  

Instead of pointing fingers, Roxas said, Binay should just focus on the allegations against him. – Rappler.com

Add a comment

Sort by

There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.

Bea Cupin

Bea is a senior multimedia reporter who covers national politics. She's been a journalist since 2011 and has written about Congress, the national police, and the Liberal Party for Rappler.