#RubyPH: Metro Manila on alert for flooding
MANILA, Philippines – Mayors of Metro Manila flocked to a last-minute meeting at the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) Friday morning, December 5, to get a briefing on the possible impact of Typhoon Ruby (Hagupit) on the flood-prone Philippine capital. (READ: Ruby, no longer 'super,' closes in on Easter Visayas)
There is no order for preemptive evacuation so far. "At this point, warnings pa lang sa lahat ng matatamaan ng riverway. Ngayon pa lang ready na kayo at handa pumunta sa evacuation center," Quezon City Mayor Herbert Bautista after the briefing.
"Kami naman ready kami ilikas kayo. Huwag na tayong matigas ang ulo. In other words, mabuti na handa kaysa nganga," Bautista added.
Government is focused on Eastern Visayas, where the typhoon that currently has maximum sustained winds of 215 km/h is expected to make a landfall on Saturday, December 6. But the typhoon's radius is so wide that its edge is expected to also hit Metro Manila and is projected to result in 400mm of rainfall.
"Talagang pinaghahandanan ng NCR (National Capital Region) mayors ang posibilidad ng pagbaha," said Interior Secretary Manuel Roxas II after the briefing. "Tuloy tuloy ang voluntary evacuation (in Eastern Visayas) at briefing ng NCR mayors 36 hours before the landfall ni Ruby." (NCR mayors are preparing their areas for possible flooding. Voluntary evacuation continues in Eastern Visayas.)
The mayors of flood-prone areas in the capital attended the briefing – Marikina City Mayor Del De Guzman, Navotas City Mayor John Rey Tiangco, Quezon City Mayor Herbert Bautista, and Pasay City Mayor Antonino Calixto.
NDRRMC chief Alexander Pama said the country's capital has to be ready for the possibility that Ruby will move northwards, which means it would have a strong impact in Metro Manila. – Rappler.com