1 dead, 420 hurt in Black Nazarene procession
MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – A man suffered a fatal heart attack, and at least 420 were hurt while joining the procession of the Black Nazarene, authorities confirmed on Friday, January 9.
Manila Disaster Risk Reduction and Management chief Johhny Yu confirmed the death, but could not provide the devotee's name and age as of posting.
The man was brought to the Manila Doctors Hospital along UN Avenue and was declared dead on arrival Friday morning.
In an interview on ANC past 5 pm, Manila Vice Mayor Isko Moreno said that he received reports of 420 injuries so far, that day, including 7 trauma cases which required medical treatment at a nearby hospital.
Moreno said the total number of injuries as of that time is considered "a little high" compared to reports around the same time last year.
"Compared to same hour last year, medyo malaki nag ating injuries ngayon (the number of injuries now are a little high)," he said, adding that the number is expected to go up as the day goes on.
The devotees were part of the millions who took part in the annual "traslacion" or the procession of the religious image through the streets of Manila, starting from the Quirino Grandstand until it returns to the Minor Basilica of the Black Nazarene, also known as the Quiapo Church. – Rappler.com