MANILA, Philippines – In the five-day state and pastoral visit of Pope Francis, he made several speeches and homilies addressed to different people – messages that have given inspiration, lessons, and hope.
Here are the videos and links to the full texts of the Pope’s speeches and homilies during his visit to the Philippines.
Rappler also compiled some of his most memorable quotes during the trip, in an interactive, shareable slideshow.
I hope that this… will challenge everyone, at all levels of society, to reject every form of corruption which diverts resources from the poor, and to make concerted efforts to ensure the inclusion of every man and woman and child in the life of the community.
– Pope Francis’ speech during the meeting with officials and the diplomatic corps, Malacañang Palace, January 16; Philippine President Benigno Aquino III’s speech is here.
Only by becoming poor ourselves, by stripping away our complacency, will we be able to identify with the least of our brothers and sisters.
– Pope Francis’ homily at the Holy Mass with bishops, priests, and religious persons, Manila Metropolitan Cathedral-Basilica, January 16
Families will always have their trials, but may you never add to them! Instead, be living examples of love, forgiveness and care.
– Pope Francis’ speech during the Meeting with Families at the Mall of Asia Arena, Pasay City, January 16
[Cuando] yo vi desde Roma esta catástrofe, sentí que tenía que estar aquí. Esos días decidí hacer el viaje aquí. Quise venir para estar con ustedes, un poco tarde me dirán, es verdad, pero estoy.
When I saw from Rome that catastrophe I had to be here. And on those very days I decided to come here. I am here to be with you – a little bit late, but I’m here.
– Pope Francis’ impromptu homily at the Holy Mass at the Daniel Z. Romualdez Airport, Tacloban City, January 17 (in English and Spanish); The prepared but undelivered homily can be found here.
I’m truly saddened because I had something prepared especially for you but let us leave everything in the hands of our Lady.
– Part of Pope Francis’ short message to the priests and nuns assembled at the Palo Cathedral, January 17; Here is the full text of what he was supposed to tell them – a ‘thank you’ to Yolanda volunteers.
Solamente cuando somos capaces de llorar sobre las cosas que vos viviste podemos entender algo y responder algo… Recién cuando el corazón alcanza a hacerse la pregunta y a llorar, podemos entender algo.
Only when we too can cry about the things you said can we come close to answering that question… When the heart is able to ask itself and weep, then we can understand something.
– The pontiff’s impromptu speech during the encounter with the youth at the University of Santo Tomas in Manila, January 18; the full text of his undelivered speech can be found here.
The Philippines… is the foremost Catholic country in Asia; this is itself a special gift of God, a special blessing. But it is also a vocation. Filipinos are called to be outstanding missionaries of the faith in Asia.
– Pope Francis’ homily during the Holy Mass at the Quirino Grandstand, January 18; The response made by Manila Archbishop Luis Antonio Cardinal Tagle is here.
There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.