House suspends Mamasapano clash probe
MANILA, Philippines – The public order and peace committees of the House of Representatives on Monday, February 16, decided to suspend their inquiry into the Mamasapano clash pending the results of a police investigation into the incident.
"In consultation with chamber leadership and party leaders, we arrived at the consensus to suspend hearings on the Mamasapano incident pending the release of the findings of the Board of Inquiry. This is to avoid premature conclusions," said Negros Occidental 4th district Representative Jeffrey Ferrer, chairperson of the House public order and safety committee.
Ferrer met with the head of the House peace, reconciliation and unity committee, Basilan Representative Jim Hataman-Salliman on Monday, February 16. Salliman, brother of Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao Governor Mujiv Hataman, told reporters that they agreed to suspend the probe "indefinitely."
During the Wednesday, February 11 hearing, Ferrer, as presiding chairperson, ruled against the presentation of a viral video showing how one of the members of the Special Action Force (SAF) was shot by an armed man on January 25 in Mamasapano.
The House panels had not originally scheduled a second hearing. Ferrer ruled in favor of holding another hearing after a heated argument among lawmakers over the video.
Deliberations on the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law were earlier suspended "indefinitely" to give way to the House probe into the clash that killed 44 elite cops, 18 Moro rebels and 3 civilians.
Cagayan de Oro 2nd district Representative Rufus Rodriguez , chairperson of the ad hoc committee, has yet to confirm as of posting time whether his committee will now resume discussions on the proposed law.
The Senate held an executive session Monday after holding its own probe into the clash last week. – Rappler.com