Arroyo lawyer: 'Dark day for rule of law'
MANILA, Philippines - "This is another dark day for the rule of law."
This was how former president and now Pampanga Rep Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo described the filing of a plunder suit against her before the Sandiganbayan.
Speaking through her lawyer Anacleto Diaz, Mrs Arroyo accused the Aquino government of timing the filing of the case with the coming State of the Nation Address (SONA) of President Benigno Aquino III on July 23.
"In the past, cases were decided solely on the basis of evidence adduced on record. It appears that this era has long time passed," Diaz said. "It appears that the case was filed against the former President to time it with the President's forthcoming SONA in which he will be accorded another opportunity to pillory and demonize the former President, and worse, justify her further detention without bail even as a petition for her bail is precisely pending resolution in the court," Diaz added.
"We will avail of all remedies under the law even as we stand ready to prove that the present charges against her are devoid of merit," he said. - Rappler.com
More in #ArroyoWatch:
- Sandiganbayan: Why was Arroyo released?
- Comelec to file motion against Arroyo bail
- Court grants Arroyo bail in election case
- Court bars Arroyo, ex-PCSO chair from leaving
- Arroyo, 9 others charged with plunder
- Arroyo bail feared due to 'rushed' case
- Ombudsman asked to file plunder case vs Arroyo
- Comelec broke rules to charge Arroyo