DILG serves suspension order vs Junjun Binay

Rappler.com
DILG serves suspension order vs Junjun Binay
(UPDATED) The suspension order is posted by a DILG official at the city hall, as both police and Binay supporters surround the building

MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) on Monday, March 16, served the suspension order against Makati Mayor Jejomar Erwin “Junjun” Binay Jr.

The  suspension order stems from complaints over a P11.97-million Makati contract covering the design and architectural services of a car park building. No public bidding, as required by law, was allegedly conducted.

DILG National Capital Region (NCR) Regional Director Renato Brion posted the suspension order at the city hall’s entrance past 8 am Monday.

Also ordered suspended are the following officials:

  • Marjorie A. De Veyra, former City Administrator
  • Pio Kenneth I. Dasal, City Legal Officer
  • Lorenza P. Amores, City Budget Officer
  • Virginia S. Hernandez, former CPMO Chief
  • Mario V. Badillo, former City Engineer
  • Leonila D.G. Querijero, former City Accountant
  • Raydes B. Pestaño, former Acting City Accountant
  • Arnel L. Cadangan, CPMO Civil Engineer
  • Line M. Dela Peña, CPMO Chief
  • Giovanni I. Condes, BAC Secretariat Head
  • Rodel R. Nayve, TWG Chairman
  • Ulysses E. Orienza, BAC Member
  • Emerito C. Magat, CPMO Civil Engineer
  • Cecilio P. Lim III, City Accountant
  • Connie N. Consulta, CPMO Civil Engineer
  • Manolito N. Uyaco, BAC Secretariat Head
  • Gerardo K. San Gabriel, OIC GSD
  • Eleno M. Mendoza, Acting City Accountant
  • Norman D. Flores, GSD Staff

The order was signed by Interior Secretary Mar Roxas on Thursday, March 12.

More than 1,000 police officers surround the premises as supporters of the mayor crowded outside the building’s entrance.

Earlier, city employees complained and pleaded with police after they were barred from entering the building.

Binay, who had said that he will exhaust all legal remedies to fight the order has been holed up in the mayor’s office for the past several nights with his father, Vice President Jejomar Binay.

The mayor had earlier asked the DILG to withhold the enforcement of the 6-month preventive suspension order of the Ombudsman, citing his pending petition with the Court of Appeals for a temporary restraining order (TRO).

The petition was raffled to the Court of Appeals’ Sixth Division on Friday, March 13.

The mayor had accused the Ombudsman of  abusing its discretion and “undue haste” in issuing the suspension order, and said he would defy it “for as long as needed” as he didn’t want Vice Mayor Romulo Peña Jr, a member of the ruling Liberal Party, to become acting mayor.

The Ombudsman had denied the allegation and said the order would be enforced, in the absence of a court-issued TRO. (READ: Ombudsman: No undue haste in Binay suspension– With reports from Katerina Francisco/Rappler.com

Add a comment

Sort by

There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.