Arroyo plunder trial an 'ordinary case' - Sandiganbayan
MANILA, Philippines - The plunder trial of former President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo will be an ordinary case. The Sandiganbayan will not hold marathon hearings.
"It will just be an ordinary case," said Justice Efren dela Cruz, chairman of the Sandiganbayan first division.
The Ombudsman-prepared plunder case against Arroyo and 9 others was raffled on Friday morning, July 20, to Cruz's division.
The plunder case against Arroyo and 9 others was filed on July 16 in connection with the alleged misuse of Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) intelligence funds during the latter years of her administration.
Former PCSO chairman of the board Sergio Valencia and former PCSO general manager Rosario Uriarte have joined Arroyo's motion to stop court proceedings on the plunder case, including their possible arrest.
According to court rules, the graft case against Cebu Gov Gwendolyn Garcia goes to the Sandiganbayan second division. The graft case against Zamboaga del Sur Rep. Aurora Cerilles will go to the third division. - Rappler.com
More in #ArroyoWatch:
- Sandiganbayan: Why was Arroyo released?
- Comelec to file motion against Arroyo bail
- Court grants Arroyo bail in election case
- Court bars Arroyo, ex-PCSO chair from leaving
- Arroyo, 9 others charged with plunder
- Arroyo bail feared due to 'rushed' case
- Ombudsman asked to file plunder case vs Arroyo
- Comelec broke rules to charge Arroyo