1 killed, 9 injured in Baguio bus accident
BAGUIO CITY, Philippines (UPDATED) – A minibus going down Naguilian Road in northern Philippines lost its brakes and hit the mountainside at Banangan, Sablan, killing one person and injuring 9 others on Thursday, June 4.
Authorities released the names of the dead and injured passengers on Friday, June 5.
Tommy Quezada Hipol, 40 years old from Caoayan, Burgos, La Union, died. He reportedly jumped out of the bus after the driver announced that the vehicle was experiencing mechanical trouble.
Police said Hipol died after he hit his head on the riprap wall on the right side of the road. His body was later brought to Baguio Memorial Chapels.
The injured passengers were identified as:
- Judy Torkuwato Chua, 56, of Naguilian, La Union)
- Jeanlyn Rillera, 33, of Agpay Burgos, La Union
- Aylin Cachero Vidad, 15, Naguilian, La Union
- Dobert Estogoy Dulay, 35, Naguilian, La Union
- Joyce Gaona Corpuz, 24, Naguilian, La Union
- Jamaica Jean Valmonte, 10, Naguilian, La Union
- Evelyn Cachero Vidad, 41, Naguilian, La Union
- Delia Moswela Carolino, 49, of Holy Ghost Extension, Baguio City
- Marites Fagayan, 56, a resident of Calot, Banangan, Sablan, Benguet
On Thursday, right after the accident, Reagan Lagayan, operations officer of the Office of Civil Defence-Cordillera, said 8 of the injured were brought to the Baguio General Hospital.
The Ian Trans minibus was on its way to San Fernando City in La Union at around 5:30 pm when it lost its brakes. The driver decided to hit the slope rather than fall into the ravine.
The area is considered a danger zone. A a few buses have fallen into the ravine there, which are as deep as 150 meters. – Rappler.com