Makati acting mayor Kid Peña mulls replacing Binay spokesman
MANILA, Philippines – Acting Makati Mayor Romulo Peña said he may appoint an officer-in-charge to replace the city's spokesman, Joey Salgado, who has not reported for work since Peña took over as acting mayor last week.
Salgado is head of Makati City's public information office and is also head of media affairs of the office of Vice President Jejomar Binay.
Speaking on ANC's Headstart on Wednesday, July 8, Peña said Salgado, who receives an estimated monthly salary of P30,000 to P40,000 as spokesman of the city, has snubbed meetings with Makati's department heads.
Makati Mayor Jejomar Erwin Binay Jr stepped down on July 1 after he failed to secure a temporary restraining order from the Court of Appeals on the second preventive suspension that the Ombudsman issued against him.
"We issued a memo asking [Salgado] to report to us. We're still awaiting his reply," Peña said.
Asked if he was considering replacing Salgado, Peña said he may appoint an officer-in-charge or ask Salgado to take a leave of absence without pay.
The acting mayor also said he was willing to work with Salgado despite the latter's political affiliation. (READ: Kid Peña to Makati gov't workers: Be professional)
"Sa akin, hindi personal eh. Ang problema, alam natin na hindi siya nagsasalita in favor sa akin, nagsasalita siya in favor of Mayor Junjun," Peña said. (This is not personal for me. The problem is, we know he doesn't speak in my favor, he speaks in favor of Mayor Junjun.)
He added, "It's up to him if he wants to continue working with us."
Salgado, however, said in a GMA News report that his contract with the Makati government already expired on June 30 – a day before Mayor Binay temporarily vacated city hall to comply with the Ombudsman's second suspension order against him.
This is the second time Binay has been suspended. In March, the Ombudsman slapped him with a 6-month preventive suspension over an allegedly anomalous contract for the Makati City Hall Building II.
Peña was sworn in as acting mayor after the suspension was served, but his claim to the top post was contested after Binay managed to get a court ruling stopping his suspension. – Rappler.com