Cavite

BFP says faulty electrical wiring caused big Bacoor Undas fire

Dennis Abrina
BFP says faulty electrical wiring caused big Bacoor Undas fire

Onlookers check out the aftermath of the fire which broke out in Bacoor City last November 1, 2020.

Photo by Dennis Abrina/Rappler

A report by the Bacoor City Bureau of Fire Protection says the fire started in a house whose roof was thatched with nipa

The Bacoor City Bureau of Fire Protection concluded that the big fire which razed over 700 houses in Barangays Alima and Sineguelasan here during the commemoration of All Saints’ Day on November 1 was caused by the faulty electrical wiring in a residence in the area.

Although the fire reached 4th alarm, there were no reported fatalities because most of the residents had been evacuated earlier as a preemptive measure for the arrival of Super Typhoon Rolly, said BFP-Bacoor City.

In her progress investigation report submitted during a meeting with Mayor Lani Mercado-Revilla, Chief Inspector Genalyn Cabasal said the fire first broke out in a house in Barangay Alima owned by a certain Julio H. Talay.

The BFP-Bacoor concluded that the main cause of the fire was “an electrical ignition due to the loose connection which immediately set fire to the roof of (the house of) Mr. Talay” which was made of nipa.

Neighbors and witnesses Mar Claro and Bernardo Iso said they saw flames on the roof of Talay house. Both witnesses claimed they had electricity at home because they were watching the TV when the fire happened.

The neighbors immediately tried put out the fire but due to the strong wind, the flames spread to the house next house owned by JV Lucero

The BFP said it took them 3 hours to contain the flames. The fire started from 10:12 pm and was declared “fire out” at 1:28 pm on November 2.

The fire displaced 402 families or more than 3,500 residents of the two barangays.

A total of 80 firetrucks and 9 ambulances responded. Two Bacooreños were reportedly injured – Bernard A. Dela Cruz, 25, and Kevin Modesto, 27. Both were reportedly out of danger.

Those affected by the fire are now staying in St. Micheal Institute, Bacoor Elementary School, Alima elementary School, Sineguelasan Elementary School, Alima Senior High School and Jesus is Lord chapel in Alima. – Rappler.com

Add a comment

Sort by

There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.