MANILA, Philippines – Detained senator Ramon "Bong" Revilla Jr plans to request the Sandiganbayan to visit his son who is in the hospital after sustaining a gunshot wound, said the Revilla family lawyer.
"Senator Bong will be filing a motion for a 24-hour furlough tomorrow," lawyer Raymond Fortun told Rappler in a text message on Sunday night, March 1.
It will be up to the court to decide the date of Revilla's visit and the maximum number of hours it will take, added Fortun.
Earlier that night, Revilla's son, Cavite Vice Governor Jolo Revilla, underwent surgery related to a gunshot wound he received on Saturday, February 28.
Revilla's surgery at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City took two and a half hours during which a chest tube was inserted into his body, said the Revilla family in a statement.
"Doctors removed half a liter of blood from his lungs," they added.
He is now said to be in a "delicate condition," prompting doctors to limit his visitors to family members.
"The family is requesting the public for more prayers for Jolo's speedy recovery," said the Revilla statement.
Fortun told Rappler that, as of writing, doctors have not yet given a timetable for his release.
The elder Revilla's request to visit his son comes amidst controversy over his unauthorized visit to fellow detainee senator Juan Ponce Enrile last February 14.
The visit led to the sacking of Philippine National Police (PNP) officials.
Despite the controversy, Revilla, who is detained in Camp Crame, is optimistic he will be permitted to visit his son.
"He is hopeful it will be granted but he recognizes that the court has full discretion on the matter," said Fortun.
The Revilla family has maintained what happened was an accidental shooting. – Rappler.com