Comelec rejects Arroyo treatment abroad

MANILA, Philippines – Former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo should be barred from seeking medical treatment abroad, Commission on Elections (Comelec) chair Sixto Brillantes told reporters.

“They already said before that she had to go abroad, but it turned out she can actually seek treatment here,” Brillantes said in a mix of English and Filipino.

Brillantes said the Comelec will oppose moves to allow Arroyo to seek treatment abroad while she is undergoing trial for electoral sabotage, a capital offense, before the Pasay City Regional Trial Court.

Complications arising from her neck ailment place Arroyo in a “life-threatening” condition and require her to seek medical attention overseas, an anonymous source said in a Philippine Daily Inquirer report last May 11. 

Barred from leaving

Late last year, Arroyo attempted to leave the Philippines to seek medical treatment, but the government barred her from leaving the country.  

The former president is now under hospital arrest at the Veterans Memorial Medical Center for her electoral sabotage case, for which she entered a “not guilty” plea

In February, one of her doctors even said Arroyo doesn't need hospital confinement despite her physical therapy needs. 

Arroyo also now faces graft charges before the Sandiganbayan. She has also entered a “not guilty” plea for this, and has also posted bail. – Rappler.com