The Department of Health (DOH) on Friday, May 28, reported 8,748 new COVID-19 infections, bringing the country's total caseload to 1,209,154.
The reported cases on Friday is the highest since May 1, when the country logged 9,226.
The death toll due to COVID-19 is currently at 20,566 after 187 new fatalities were recorded.
Meanwhile, recoveries are up by 3,017, raising the total recoveries to 1,134,818.
The DOH reported a positivity rate of 12.8% out of 49,162 tests in its bulletin. These positive cases are added to the tally of confirmed cases only after further validation. This process helps ensure cases would not be recorded in duplicate, and that all test results had been submitted, explained the department.
The DOH said all testing hubs were operational on Wednesday, May 26, while 4 laboratories were not able to submit their data on time. The cases reflected in the bulletin were based on tests conducted two days ago.
On Wednesday, Octa Research fellow Guido David said it does not seem right to ease the quarantine restriction in "NCR Plus" to modified GCQ even though COVID-19 cases in this bubble are starting to decline.
David said that they want to avoid a situation wherein people become "very complacent because they feel that the situation has improved significantly, that there are no more cases when in fact there are still cases."
President Rodrigo Duterte is expected to announce in the coming days the quarantine classifications in the country for the month of June.
For the past days, the country has been logging around 4,000 to 6,000 new cases on the average, which is relatively lower than when the surge in cases happened in March to April. The country's daily COVID-19 cases peaked at 15,310 on April 2.
On Friday, the DOH said that it will look into proposals to allow fully vaccinated people not to wear face masks, following proposals that the country should ease its health protocols as more people get vaccinated against COVID-19. – Rappler.com