Court OKs Gloria Arroyo's trips to Germany, France, HK

MANILA, Philippines – The anti-graft court Sandiganbayan’s Fourth Division has allowed former president now Pampanga Second Representative Gloria-Macapagal Arroyo  to go to Germany, France, and Hong Kong beginning September.

The court also allowed former First Gentleman Jose Miguel Arroyo to accompany his wife on the foreign trips.

In separate resolutions on motions to travel filed by the couple, the court set Arroyo’s travel bond at P300,000, and her husband’s at P90,000.

The court allowed the Arroyos to travel only to Munich, Germany, and Paris, France, from September 19 to October 3; and to Hong Kong from October 29 to November 4. 

Under the conditions set by the court, the Arroyos have to present themselves to the Clerk of Court of the Sandiganbayan’s 4th Division within 5 days from arrival from France, and from Hong Kong, along with their passports and photocopies of pages bearing the stamps of departure from and return to the Philippines.

Last week, the former president filed a motion to travel with the Sandiganbayan so she could leave the country for medical treatment and to go on vacation with her family.

She had said that she will go to Munich, Germany, for medical treatment for her multiple cervical spondolysis or the wearing off of the bones; and have a vacation in Paris and Hong Kong. She had also said that she planned to meet with members of the Filipino community on those trips.

It would be the former president’s first overseas trip since she was placed under hospital arrest in 2012.  She was released on July 21 after the Supreme Court cleared her of plunder.

The Arroyos have pending cases before the Sandiganbayan in connection with the botched ZTE-NBN broadband deal with the Philippine government. – Rappler.com