MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte is scheduled to make a phone call to US president-elect Donald Trump late Friday night, December 2, to personally congratulate him on his recent victory.
Duterte is expected to make the call from Davao City at 10:30 pm on Friday, Manila time.
Duterte has been friendly toward Trump from the outset, a far cry from his behavior toward US President Barack Obama, the target of his curse-laden tirades. Duterte had lambasted Obama in public addresses for calling his attention to the spate of killings linked to his war on drugs. (READ: IN NUMBERS: The Philippines' war on drugs)
Malacañang had earlier issued an official statement on Trump's victory, where the President wished him "success in the next 4 years as Chief Executive and commander-in-chief of the US military."
In that November 9 statement, Malacañang said Duterte "looks forward to working with the incoming administration for enhanced Philippines-US relations anchored on mutual respect, mutual benefit, and shared commitment to democratic ideals and the rule of law."
Addressing Filipinos in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, in early November, Duterte said he doesn't want to pick a fight with the next United States president. (READ: Duterte after Trump win: I don't want to pick a fight)
Duterte had earlier cited similarities between him and the incoming US president, among them, being quick to mouth expletives.
Parallels have been observed between Duterte and Trump, given their penchant for populist messaging, shocking remarks, and sexist behavior. (READ: Why Duterte is coy about choosing between Clinton and Trump) – Rappler.com