MANILA, Philippines – (10th UPDATE) On the second week of the campaign period, only 4 presidential candidates had scheduled sorties. Miriam Defensor Santiago did not announce any activities, but her running mate, Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr, had a full week.
All “presidentiables” and Marcos were mostly in Metro Manila and the Visayas. However, on Sunday, February 21, all 5 presidential candidates were in Cagayan de Oro for the debate organized by the Commission on Elections. Comelec’s media partners for the event, however, limited the access of journalists from other organizations to the debate. (READ: Cagayan de Oro media cry ‘discrimination’ in presidential debate coverage)
Check out where the candidates were from February 15 to 21:
Monday, February 15
- Ferdinand Marcos Jr was in San Juan City, where he was endorsed by Mayor Guia Gomez. In the evening, Grace Poe dropped by a post-Valentine concert for clean air, organized by the Coalition of Clean Air Advocates of the Philippines, at the Amoranto Stadium in Quezon City.
- Vice presidential bet Leni Robredo was in Kabankalan City in Negros Occidental.
- Rodrigo Duterte on Monday afternoon sent notice that he wouldn’t be able to make it to his rallies in Tagoloan and El Salvador, both in Misamis Oriental. He was informed that the plane he was going to us had mechanical problems. His running mate Alan Cayetano spoke to the crowd.
- Binay held sorties in Pasay and Parañaque. In between visiting barangays in Pasay, the Vice President ordered new pairs of eyeglasses.
Tuesday, February 16
- Presidential candidate Jejomar Binay was in Cebu City.
- Grace Poe was in Iloilo, joined for the first time in a sortie by her mother, actress Susan Roces.
- Marcos did the rounds of Pasig City. In the evening, he had a dialogue with leaders of the sugar industry at the Manila Polo Club.
- Manuel Roxas II and his senatorial candidates joined running mate Robredo in Bacolod City.
Wednesday, February 17
- Poe and Escudero were in Roxas City.
- Marcos campaigned in the resettlement areas established by his parents in Caloocan and Malabon in Metro Manila.
- The tandem of Roxas and Robredo held meetings with barangay leaders in from different districts in Quezon City.
- Duterte visited Bacolod City.
- Binay was in Pangasinan, where he had a motorcade around Lingayen and Binmaley towns in the morning. He attended the 60th Annual Council Meeting of the Boy Scouts of the Philippines at the Sison auditorium at the Lingayen provincial capitol compound in the afternoon.
Thursday, February 18
- It was Poe‘s and Robredo‘s turn at the Go Negosyo’s series of forums with candidates. This was held at the World Trade Center in Pasay City.
- Roxas-Robredo‘s initial plans to do the rounds of districts in Muntinlupa City was cancelled.
- Duterte and running mate Cayetano had a meeting with UP Ikot drivers and vendors at the University of the Philippines in Diliman.
- Marcos will officially open his campaign headquarters.
Friday, February 19
- Binay‘s initial plans to visit Taguig/Pateros were cancelled. He addressed Filipino-Chinese businessmen at the Manila Hotel.
- Poe was in Nueva Ecija.
- Marcos returned to Pangasinan.
- Robredo was in Cavite from 8 am onwards: Dasmariñas (Animo Center La Salle), Imus (sports complex), Rosario (town plaza), and General Trias (Lyceum).
Saturday, February 20
- Binay was in Misamis Oriental and Cagayan de Oro.
- Poe had sorties in Pasig City and Marikina.
- Marcos was in Batangas.
- At 8 am, Robredo attended a Liga ng mga Barangay event at the Bohol Cultural Center in Tagbilaran City.
Sunday, February 21
- Binay, Duterte, Poe, Roxas, and Santiago took part in the presidential debate organized by the Comelec, in partnership with GMA-7 and the Inquirer, at the Capitol University in Cagayan de Oro City. Duterte initially threatened to boycott the debate if national media organizers would continue to discriminate against Mindanao-based journalists in the coverage of the event.
- Duterte had a grand rally in Cagayan de Oro.
- Robredo was at a Women for Leni event at the Apacible Residence in Nasugbu, Batangas, at 9 am.