MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – Most of the reelectionists or their spouses dominate the mayoral race in Metro Manila.
Based on unofficial results from the Commission on Elections-GMA7 mirror server, at least 11 reelectionist mayors are leading in their respective cities. Most of them have been declared already as winners.
- Caloocan City mayor Oscar Malapitan (62.4% in a 6-way race)
- Malabon City mayor Antolin Oreta III (54.4% in a head-to-head race)
- Manila mayor Joseph Estrada (38.5% in an 11-way race)
- Muntinlupa City mayor Jaime Fresnedi (58.3% in a 5-way race)
- Parañaque City mayor Edwin Olivarez (unopposed)
- Valenzuela City mayor Rexlon Gatchalian (74.5% in a head-to-head race)
- Navotas City mayor John Reynald Tiangco (unopposed)
- Pasay City mayor Antonino Calixto (62.3% in a 7-way race)
- Quezon City mayor Herbert Bautista (90.7% in a 4-way race)
- San Juan City mayor Guia Gomez (51.1% in a head-to-head race)
- Taguig City mayor Maria Laarni Cayetano (unopposed)
Meanwhile, the spouses fielded by 3 outgoing mayors are also leading in their cities:
- Robert Eusebio, husband of Pasig City mayor Maria Belen Eusebio (95.6% in a head-to-head race)
- Imelda Aguilar, wife of Las Piñas City mayor Vergel Aguilar (91.3% in a 6-way race)
- Carmelita Abalos, wife of Mandaluyong City mayor Benhur Abalos (81.2% in a 3-way race)
In the cities of Makati and Marikina, the reelectionists trailed behind their contenders. Makati City Mayor Romulo Peña Jr is second to leading Abigail Binay in a 3-way race, while Marikina City Mayor Del de Guzman falls behind Marcelino Teodoro in a head-to-head fight.
Binay and Teodoro are outgoing representatives of their respective cities.
Pateros is expected to see a new mayor, as outgoing Pateros mayor Jaime Medina didn’t seek reelection or field a relative to run for the same position. Leading in the National Capital Region’s lone municipality is lawyer Miguel Ponce III.
Areas in the National Capital Region had a transmission rate of between 90% and 100% as of Tuesday morning, based on data from the mirror server. – Rappler.com
There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.