Paolo Duterte running for Davao City congressman

Pia Ranada
Paolo Duterte running for Davao City congressman
(UPDATED) The President's son is seeking the seat to be vacated by Karlo Alexei Nograles

MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – President Rodrigo Duterte’s eldest son, Paolo Duterte, filed on Friday, October 12, his certificate of candidacy (COC) for congressman of Davao City’s 1st district, the seat to be vacated by Karlo Alexei Nograles.

 

The 43-year-old Paolo, also known as “Pulong,” went to the Commission on Elections office here past noon, accompanied by his sister, Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte Carpio and her husband Manases Carpio.

As his COC was being received, Paolo quipped, “Gosh, I’m nervous.”

He even cracked a joke on the large number of reporters that covered his filing: “If something disappears here, blame the media.”

He was apparently referring to the defense of opposition Senator Antonio Trillanes IV that President Duterte cannot void his amnesty because he filed for it, as witnessed by the media in 2010. Paolo filed two libel complaints against Trillanes, who had accused him of corruption. 

Sara, meanwhile, has yet to file her COC for any position, although she earlier said she would be running for reelection.

It was not immediately known who her running mate would be, although Nograles’ name and that of her husband, Manases, had been floated.

Family decision

Paolo said he discussed his congressional bid with members of his family: “This has been agreed upon by members of the family.”

While he had yet to talk to his father, he said the President “is aware of my plans.”

He resigned from his post as Davao City vice mayor in December 2017 out of “delicadeza,” citing controversies related to his “failed first marriage.”

After announcing his resignation, he said he planned to retire and go “back to farming.”

The President’s son had also been linked to the so-called Davao Group that was involved in the smuggling of P6.4-billion worth of shabu from China. 

He vehemently denied this and was later cleared by the Office of the Ombudsman. – with a report from Allan Nawal in Davao City/Rappler.com

Add a comment

Sort by

There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.

author

Pia Ranada

Pia Ranada is a senior reporter for Rappler covering Philippine politics and environmental issues. For tips and story suggestions, email her at pia.ranada@rappler.com.