2022 PH Elections - News

DZRH apologizes over ‘erroneous’ report on Robredo supporters in Samar

Jairo Bolledo
DZRH apologizes over ‘erroneous’ report on Robredo supporters in Samar

APOLOGY ACCEPTED. File photo of Vice President Leni Robredo in Naga City.

OVP/Charlie Villegas

DZRH station manager Cesar Chavez says the reporter was also suspended for claiming without basis that caravan participants had been promised a fee but was not paid

Radio station DZRH, under the Manila Broadcasting Company (MBC), issued an apology over their “erroneous” report on October 30 that claimed participants in Vice President Leni Robredo’s caravan in towns in Northern Samar were promised payment which was pocketed by organizers.  

DZRH apologizes over ‘erroneous’ report on Robredo supporters in Samar

“We at DZRH would like to extend our most sincere apologies for broadcasting unverified content during one of our afternoon newscasts,” DZRH said late Monday, November 1. 

Cesar Chavez, station manager and MBC vice president, said they have temporarily suspended the reporter who made the claim without interviewing any of the participants.

The DZRH report said that Robredo supporters in Northern Samar complained about not receiving payment that was promised them for joining the caravan for her campaign, and that the organizers pocketed the money.  Robredo is running for president in the May 2022 elections.

Barry Gutierrez, Robredo’s spokesperson, branded the report “fake.”  

In a statement on Monday, November 1, the Leni for President Movement-Northern Samar said: “We are categorically denying that participants to the motorcade or caravan have been paid and that there is a fund or ‘pondo’ for the said activity… No one was paid and no one participated because there was payment promised or given. There was no funding for the said activity either. The caravan was purely voluntary.”  

Chavez posted his station’s apology late evening Monday.

Mali ang report ng DZRH, paumanhin po VP Leni at sa iyong mga supporter sa Northern Samar (The DZRH”s report was erroneous. Apologies to VP Leni and her supporters from Northern Samar),” Chavez said in his statement posted on Twitter. 

According to Chavez, the reporter had no direct quote from anyone who joined the caravan complaining that they were not paid or that the organizers had pocketed the money. 

Ibig sabihin, mismong ang reporter namin ay walang nakausap kahit isang nilalang sa Northern Samar na nagsabi na may naganap na bayaran o mayroong hindi nabayaran sa event na iyon (This means that our reporter did not talk to anyone in Northern Samar saying that they were given cash or did not get any cash from that event),” the DZRH official added. 

Robredo thanked Chavez for immediately addressing the issue.

Supporters of presidential aspirant Robredo and her running mate Senator Francis Pangilinan have been holding caravans and motorcades in key areas nationwide and in the US after the October 23 launch of their “Caravan of Hope.” – Rappler.com 

Jairo Bolledo

Jairo Bolledo is a multimedia reporter at Rappler covering the police, crime, military, and security.