WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
From Tondo scavenger to actor to Manila mayor, will he become President Isko Moreno?
Moreno, 46, is formally launching his presidential bid at 10:30 am (Manila time) on Wednesday, September 22, in one of the country’s poorest communities – Baseco Compound in Tondo, Manila.
Moreno is running alongside Dr. Willie Ong, 57, a cardiologist and internist with over 16 million Facebook followers. Ong ran and lost in the 2019 senatorial election, but got the second highest number of votes from overseas voters.
Bookmark and refresh this page for updates – in text, video, and social media posts – before, during, and after the campaign launch.
LOOK: Moreno, Ong declare their bids for presidency, vice presidency
EDITOR’S NOTES: Chay Hofileña on Isko Moreno’s candidacy launch
Here are the rough notes made by Rappler’s managing editor, Chay Hofileña, about the candidacy launch of Manila Mayor Isko Moreno. She originally addressed this to reporter Pia Ranada, but it might also be helpful to you, our readers, as a summary.
What stood out for Isko when I started to take quick notes @piaranada: maraming sounds familiar phrases na hiram kung saan-saan, pero marami ring quotable quotes.
– His narrative is clear: Ang iskwater at basurero pwede palang tumakbong presidente (parang what Manny Villar tried but failed to project)
– Life and livelihood ang sagot sa pandemya so Willie Ong and Honey Lacuna fit well
– For business – His message: ease in doing business
– On governance: EO 1: Open Governance Policy; openness to criticism, speak truth to power (sounds familiar); invite millennials (sounds like PNoy); pumalya, pumalpak, you’re fired immediately; anumang anomalya, di kukunsintihin, di kakanlungin (Duterte’s one whiff of corruption)
– On disinformation: Truth, not trolls, will set you free
– On justice: national reconciliation – faster justice and the rule of law (sounds familiar again); we should not be consumed or immobilized by rear view mirror politics; let us heal our country (Cory spoke of reconciliation too)
– For Manilans: Hindi ko kayo iiwan, tatawid lang ako ng kabilang ilog (quotable)
– Rainbow colors: He can work with dilaw, pula, kahit anong kulay dahil moreno naman ang kulay ng Pilipino (Joe de Venecia had a rainbow coalition before)
– Ayokong maging tsubibo ang buhay ng tao… Ayokong maging sawing boyfriend, paasa (for Grace ba ito?)
– He remembers terms and buzz words: He said he will invest in the human development index
[WATCH] Rappler Talk Newsmaker: Isko Moreno and his presidential bid
Moreno: ‘I can work with anyone’ regardless of politics
WATCH: Manila resident weighs in on Moreno candidacy
Ong says he doesn’t mind losing as VP
Moreno still appeals for Filipinos to vote for them as a tandem, since a different vice president may be at odds with him, if elected.
Moreno says he chose Ong as running mate because of ‘abnormal times’
Honey Lacuna seeks to succeed Isko Moreno as Manila mayor – sources
Manila Vice Mayor Honey Lacuna will throw her hat in the 2022 mayoral race in the Philippine capital, two highly placed sources confirmed to Rappler on Tuesday, September 21.
The development came after incumbent Manila Mayor Isko Moreno confirmed to the press the same day that he would leave city hall to run for president in the 2022 national elections.
On Wednesday, September 22, Moreno endorsed Lacuna for the post during the launch of his Malacañang bid.