Cebu

At least 230 families displaced by flash floods in northern Cebu town

Rappler
At least 230 families displaced by flash floods in northern Cebu town

EVACUEES. Families evacuate to local church after a flash flood hits barangays in Sogod town, Cebu.

Municipality of Sogod Facebook page

No deaths or injuries are reported so far

At least 230 families were displaced in flash floods that hit Sogod town in Cebu province on Monday evening, October 25, according to the municipality’s disaster risk reduction management office (DRRMO).

“The affected barangays include Bawo, Damolog, Poblacion and Ibabao,” Sogod’s DRRMO said in a Facebook post on Monday evening.

The flash floods were caused by heavy rain, which also triggered a landslide in Sitio Canduang in Barangay Damolog.

According to the municipality, no deaths and injuries have been reported so far, but search and rescue operations are ongoing as of this writing. 

Some commercial establishments, like stores, have been damaged, as well as several homes. 

Displaced residents are now being housed at the Deo Durano Sports and Cultural Complex, and St. James the Apostle Parish in Sogod. 

“We should be thankful it happened early and people were not asleep,” Sogod Vice Mayor Lisa Marie Streegan told residents in a public address in Cebuano on Tuesday, October 26, that was uploaded by Cebu Daily News.

“Our kids were able to evacuate; what’s important is that no one died,” Streegan added.

Cebu Governor Gwendolyn Garcia came to Sogod on Tuesday to inspect the damage and give financial assistance to families affected by the floods.

Cebu gubernatorial aspirant Ace Durano was in town at the same time to also distribute assistance and relief goods with Danao City Mayor Nito Durano.

According to a press release from Durano, families could avail of assistance from the Durano’s Bakud party for subsistence and home repairs. – Ryan Macasero/Rappler.com