Fire hits UP CASAA food center, 2 hurt

MANILA, Philippines –  Fire struck an iconic canteen at the University of the Philippines in Diliman, Quezon City, on Saturday morning, June 13, hurting two people.

Nestor Castro, UP Vice Chancellor for Community Affairs, told Rappler that a cook was badly injured by the blaze and was rushed to the East Avenue Medical Center after receiving first aid at the UP infirmary. The owner of Chef's Grill was also injured.

Castro said that the fire at the College of Arts and Sciences Alumni Association (CASAA) Food Center started around 10 am, and was declared fire out within 30 minutes.

He said that according to initial findings, a possible cause of the fire is a gas tank leak.

Two security guards initially responded with fire extinguishers but the blaze spread quickly, Castro added. –

Raisa Serafica

Raisa Serafica is the Unit Head of Civic Engagement of Rappler. As the head of MovePH, Raisa leads the on ground engagements of Rappler aimed at building a strong community of action in the Philippines. Through her current and previous roles at Rappler, she has worked with different government agencies, collaborated with non-governmental organizations, and trained individuals mostly on using digital technologies for social good.