At least nine people were reported injured due to Typhoon Jolina (now a severe tropical storm), while one is still missing in Eastern Samar, the province’s health office reported on Tuesday, September 7.
The nine injuries come from the towns of Mercedes (4), Guiuan (3), Quinapondan (1) and Genmac (1).
A fisherman was also reported missing from the town of Girpolos in Eastern Samar.
Eastern Samar Governor Ben Evardone said Jolina only inflicted “minimal adverse effects” to his province and that all roads that were previously flooded when the typhoon hit are now passable.
The typhoon also triggered power outages in several areas in the Eastern Visayas including Samar, Eastern Samar and Leyte.
The National Grid Corporation of the Philippines said in a 9 am advisory that several transmission lines went down across Monday evening moving into Tuesday.
As of this writing, power in Catbalogan and parts of Samar province have not yet been restored, while some areas in Eastern Samar and Leyte had their power back on Tuesday afternoon.
Meanwhile the Coast Guard station in Northern Samar reported 1,122 passengers, 171 trucks, 143 light cars, and nine buses were stranded. Ten vessels took shelter in the Balwhateco, Sta. Cora and Dap Dap ports in the province.
At least 12 people went missing and one other died in Catbalogan City, Samar, the Catbalogan City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office (CDRRMO) reported.
Another 1,196 houses were partially damaged, while 72 houses were destroyed when the typhoon hit the island.
Ormoc villages flooded
Meanwhile in Ormoc City on Leyte’s eastern coast, several coastal villages were reported to have been flooded.
“In coastal barangays, it’s slightly critical because flood water is high. But we can see strong flash floods in rivers due to the continuous rainwater gushing from the mountains,” Ormoc City Mayor Richard Gomez said in a mix of English and Cebuano in a live video via his Facebook page.
Gomez said areas flooded as of 7 am included the barangays of Mabini, Tambulig, Linao, and Sitio Owak in San Isidro.
The Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) rescued at least 60 residents from Owak in Barangay San Isidro, Ormoc City around 4 am because of flash floods, while the Ormoc City rescue team evacuated residents in Sitio Huobon in Barangay San Isidro from neck-deep water.
“We went around to check (the) expected low-lying barangays at around 5 in the morning. There are some barangays that have water levels slightly rising,” Gomez said.
Following the aftermath of the storm, Gomez declared the suspension of work in public offices and classes on all levels for Tuesday, September 7, but work for security, medical, and emergency personnel will still continue.
The city mayor also urged residents in Ormoc City to contact the rescue unit immediately if flood waters continue to rise.
“As much as you can, stay at home, be with your family and keep yourselves dry and warm,” Gomez said. – with a report from Inday Espina-Varona/Rappler.com
Art Lubiano and Lance Lim are Visayas-based journalists and awardees of the Aries Rufo Journalism Fellowship.