Provide your email for confirmation

Tell us a bit about yourself

country *

Please provide your email address

welcome to Rappler

Login

To share your thoughts

Don't have an account?

Login with email

Check your inbox

We just sent a link to your inbox. Click the link to continue signing in. Can’t find it? Check your spam & junk mail.

Didn't get a link?

Use password?

Login with email

Reset password?

Please use the email you used to register and we will send you a link to reset your password

Check your inbox

We just sent a link to your inbox. Click the link to continue resetting your password. Can’t find it? Check your spam & junk mail.

Didn't get a link?

Sign up

Ready to get started

Already have an account?

Sign up with email

By signing up you agree to Rappler’s Terms and Conditions and Privacy

Check your inbox

We just sent a link to your inbox. Click the link to continue registering. Can’t find it? Check your spam & junk mail.

Didn't get a link?

Join Rappler+

Join Move

How often would you like to pay?

Annual Subscription

Monthly Subscription

Your payment was interrupted

Exiting the registration flow at this point will mean you will loose your progress

Your payment didn’t go through

Exiting the registration flow at this point will mean you will loose your progress

welcome to Rappler+

welcome to Move

welcome to Move & Rappler+

ISIS claims Resorts World Manila attack

MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – The Islamic State (ISIS) claimed on Friday, June 2, that its "fighters" carried out the attack on Resorts World Manila in Pasay City that ignited a fire which killed 37 people.

Before the gunman had been killed and the police had given any motive, there was an unconfirmed claim of responsibility from ISIS.

US President Donald Trump also branded it a "terrorist attack."

Later Friday, ISIS' self-styled Amaq news agency carried a brief message in Arabic on Telegram, which said: "Islamic State fighters carried out the attack in Manila in the Philippines yesterday." It gave no further details.

A formal communique from the ISIS' East Asia division was issued hours after the message from Amaq news agency. Below is the formal communique and a translation of the message:

Filipino officials were adamant it was not related to terrorism, and was the work of an individual.

The dead suffocated inside one of the main gambling venues of the upscale Resorts World Manila, while dozens of other people were injured in a panicked crush to escape, police said.

The gunman committed suicide inside a hotel room by burning himself about 5 hours after storming the casino with an M4 assault rifle and a bottle of gasoline that he used to start the fire, Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Director General Ronald dela Rosa said. – Rappler.com