Weeks after the preliminary investigation into the death of Christine Dacera was completed, the Philippine National Police presented new evidence that could further delay resolution of the case.
Lawyer Mike Santiago, who represents 11 respondents, said in a Thursday, March 4, press briefing that their camp received the day before from the Makati police a copy of a motion to reopen the case and admit additional evidence.
“And now that everybody is waiting, eagerly waiting for the release of the resolution on the preliminary investigation, they would want the investigation to be reopened? Not on the basis of newly discovered evidence, but on the basis of old evidence that is being presented only now,” Santiago said.
According to a toxicology report dated February 11 illegal drugs fluoromethamphetamine and methamphetamine were allegedly found in the crime scene. Meanwhile, a medico-legal report dated February 9 says semen was found in the retrieved specimen.
The Makati City prosecutor’s office, however, had already closed the 5th and last preliminary investigation on February 17.
“So how come they are just submitting this alleged chemistry report today or yesterday, when in fact this has been available as early as February 11, 2021?” Santiago asked.
“It raises a lot of doubts. Not only doubts, it raises also fear among the respondents, among us, among our camp. What’s being cooked behind all of this?” he added.
In a phone interview, lawyer Brick Reyes, counsel of the Dacera family, said the additional evidence supports their theory of rape with homicide.
“[This information retrieved by PNP should be added] to the investigation of [the] City Prosecutor of Makati because this is a very serious finding. With these findings, we now have supporting evidence for rape with homicide [and] violation of the dangerous drugs law,” said Reyes.
Meanwhile, Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra told reporters to “wait for major developments in the Dacera case on Monday.” – Rappler.com